If you’re interested in starting a 30-day free trial of Synergy to manage your architecture, engineering or construction design business, it’s good to know the steps you’ll go through to get started.
Below we’ve outlined the login process, the getting started guide, and the free online sessions we offer to help you get the most from Synergy.
Two steps to sign up to Synergy
The sign up process is simple — less than 60 seconds!
- Create a profile — this is your personal profile for Synergy. You can be a member of more than one organisation and your profile will cross between however many you’re in. This profile is also what you login to shared project portals with.
- Create your organisation — you need an organisation in order to add staff and contacts, create projects, send invoices, and so on.
That’s it — you’re in!
Now let’s see what’s involved in the Synergy getting started guide...
Synergy getting started guide
In the Synergy getting started guide you have the option of experimenting with a sample organisation — complete with partially populated project information (data you can play with without affecting your own organisation set up) — or follow the Synergy getting started guide with steps to set up your own organisation and data.
If you choose the ‘set up your organisation’ path, these are the steps to follow:
- Complete your profile and organisation details (photo, logo, address and contact info).
- Add contacts — you can add contacts manually one-by-one, import via Excel spreadsheet, or import via an accounting add-on like Xero or QuickBooks Online.
- Set up rates and financial information — this is a crucial step. Synergy will give you default rates based on the primary industry you selected when setting up your organisation. You should update these to suit your practice’s charge-out and overtime rates, and set the organisation-wide financial controls.
- Add staff — unless you’re a one-person business, you’ll want to get your staff involved so you can test Synergy fully. In this step, you add staff, set their rates, and enter information to establish their cost (vital to ensure you know your profit).
- Create projects — here you get to add billable projects for each job you’ve got on, and non-billable projects for internal projects to book time against non-billable tasks. You can also import projects and financials using Excel if you want to.
- Timesheets — the one you’re really excited about! Add timesheets for project tasks and submit cash and travel expense claims. You can also start a timer to instantly track time on project tasks.
- Templates — Synergy projects come with default document folder structures and sample document templates. Edit the default folder structure so each new project gets the structure you want. Edit bookmarks, tables and formatting in the document templates, and edit work breakdown templates for project stages and tasks.
- Invoices and bills — create project invoices, enter invoice payments, and record supplier bills and office item expenses.
- Documents — upload files and images to projects, and contact and staff records.
- Project portals — these enable you to collaborate with the internal and external project team. Enable portals and get started with chats and sharing documents and images.
- Reports — Synergy comes with some standard reports. You can also create and share custom reports. It’s worth reviewing the help files and knowledge base to get the most from Synergy reports.
- Accounting add-ons — connect Synergy with your favourite accounting application (Xero, QuickBooks Online, or MYOB AccountRight Live). Sync the applications for two-way transfer of financial and contact information.
Online sessions to help you get started
Once you’ve signed up for a trial, our customer success team will be in touch to let you schedule a product demo and some online getting started sessions at a time that suits you.
These sessions take you through the whole set up process in depth. We highly recommend getting online on each of these sessions. You can also sign up for a a getting started webinar.
The Synergy sample organisation is there to let you play with what we call ‘demo data’ — this is information and data we’ve created to give you a feel for projects, tasks, invoicing, reports, contact records and lots more. Some projects are more complete than others (on purpose) so you can enter new information and experiment without making your own organisation’s data messy.
The sample organisation data resets every seven days.
What’s next? Check out the Synergy features or hit that ‘start free trial’ button and take Synergy for a spin — free for 30 days!